What is Reiki?
The Japanese word Reiki means:
It is a system that promotes healing on many levels and are techniques for spiritual development to support you in finding balance within your life.
- People use and learn Reiki to promote overall health and well-being.
- Reiki is used by people who are seeking relief from disease-related symptoms and as an alternative to the side effects of conventional medical treatments.
- Reiki has historically been practiced as a form of self-care.
Reiki is an energy medicine and healing practice that originated in Japan. Practitioners place their hands lightly on or just above the person receiving treatment, with the goal of facilitating the person’s own healing response. In the United States, Reiki is part of complementary and alternative medicine (CAM).
The System of Reiki
The Five Elements
Reiki is a spiritual and healing practice that includes the Five Elements of Reiki:
- Developing Spiritual & Mental Focus – (Gokai) – the precepts or guidelines for conduct are:
- Just for today
- Do not anger
- Do not worry
- Be humble
- Be honest in your work
- Be compassionate to yourself and others
- Meditations and Techniques – centering the mind and building energy flow through meridians
- Hands on Healing – (Tenohira) – palm healing
- Mantras and Symbols – (Shirushi and Jumon) – to help connect with the energy
- Attunements – (Reiju) – a spiritual offering or blessing and a ritual that is performed by a Reiki Teacher on a student.
A Spiritual System of Wholeness
Most people think that Reiki is just about the giving or receiving of the energy in a healing therapeutic way. It is so much more than that. It is a constant practice of mindfully being the energy by incorporating the system into the whole of your life. A continuous path of healing by practicing the system of Reiki. By using the system and it’s elements, we begin to let go of self imposed limitations and begin a journey to become our true authentic selves.
By incorporating the system of Reiki into our lives we are “systematically” removing layers of old patterns, learned behaviors and auto response of emotions. Dropping all of this past baggage that at one time got us through life. Now we examine our lives and see that this baggage no longer serves its purpose now and there is a better, more peaceful way to be.
Benefits of Reiki
One of the greatest Reiki healing health benefits is stress reduction and relaxation, which triggers the body’s natural healing abilities, and improves and maintains health. Reiki helps bring about inner peace, and it can be valuable tool in the journey of spiritual growth.
- Helps alleviate pain and illness including skin problems, fatigue, back pain and headaches
- Supports your own body to heal itself and strengthens the immune system to help the body fight off illness easier
- Creates deep relaxation and aids the body to release stress and tension
- Assists the body in cleaning itself from toxins
Mental and Emotional Benefits
Through the use of Reiki, one finds that the mind calms and the constant stream of thoughts slow in order to allow one’s true inner voice to be heard.
- Releasing of negative emotions and promotion of positive qualities like love and trust
- The mind becomes calmer and those feelings of stress or worry can be eased
- Depression, insomnia, lack of confidence, addiction and fear-based illnesses may be reduced
- Relief during emotional distress and sorrow helps in the grieving process
- Improves self-esteem
- “Seeing” more clearly in your life and making better choices
- Feel more connected and in tune with yourself and others
- Increased creativity allowing a more purposeful direction
It is necessary to address expectations here, specifically which ones are reasonable, and which are unreasonable. Often, clients think that they will be completely healed after one Reiki session. While miracles and instant responses do occur, it is important to remember that we didn’t get into a state of imbalance overnight. It may take several or many sessions before health is restored to the physical body. Happily, the benefits of Reiki can begin to increase after several sessions. And as improvement continues, the benefits continue to increase, as well as the speed with which we are able to see results. As obstacles are removed from our path of the invisible, (emotional, mental, spiritual levels) the changes move more quickly on the visible levels. Healing takes place on the different energy bodies and it takes time for the healing energy in some to filter down into the physical body. And once improvement is evident, the negative energy that was removed must be replaced by the positive which usually means lifestyle changes in thinking, diet and/or situation. Change is good. If we don’t change and move, things tends to stay the same. See Kiazen philosophy.
Regular Reiki treatments can bring about a calmer and more peaceful state of being, in which a person is better able to cope with everyday stress.
The benefits of Reiki can sometimes be unexplainable. Some people may have a profound experience that words cannot be used to describe what has happened. This is the wonders of the essence of experiencing spiritual energy.
The Essence of Reiki
DISCLAIMER: This site was created in order to share the information about the wonderful health benefits of the Reiki Healing Energy. It is therefore for educational purposes. Reiki is not a massage. Please note, that Reiki is not a substitute for medical care. Information on this site is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. You should consult with the appropriate health practitioner in case of any medical condition.